Local Plan for Letchworth
This page is designed to keep the community up-to-date with developments regarding the progress of North Herts District Council’s Local Plan.
It is a process the Heritage Foundation is a part of, due to the inclusion in the Local Plan of a site north of Letchworth, which is a part of our estate.
Since 2012 the we have been working closely with the Council and the community to ensure decisions being made are open and transparant and take in to account the views of the town.
North Herts District Council carried out a consultation which ended on 30 November 2016. Following this a final Submission Plan was agreed.
This plan includes strategic and development management policies, covering a wide range of topic areas such as housing, employment, town centre and retail, transport, design and natural and historic environment.
This plan can be viewed here.
We commissioned background papers on local housing and produced an updated economic assessment, following which we made our representations to this plan. These representations can be reviewed here.
North Herts District Council
Following the close of the consultation, the Council will now consider all of the responses received and then decide whether or not to send the plan to the Government for examination. If this goes ahead, the current timeline shows an independent examination by an Inspector representing the Secretary of State taking place in late summer 2017.
Information on this process can be found here.
Following our submission of representations to the most recent stage of the consultation, we will be doing the following in 2017:
- With our commitment to make use of brown field sites, we will begin the planning of those identified in the Proposed Submission Plan with a goal that ,where it is possible, these sites are brought forward for development.
Looking at the development of land to the north of Letchworth Garden City we will:
- Identify key issues including highways, transport and access and start to review these matters in more detail.
- Agree a set of core values and principles, which will then shape how this land is developed.
- In line with these values and principles we will look to appointment of an appropriate partner to help bring forward this development, should it become adopted policy.
- Have discussions and engage with the local community and town as a whole regarding the development of this land.
- Work with stakeholders, such as the District and County Councils regarding the key components of the development of this site.