Town Centre Revitalisation
We’re committed to revitalising Letchworth Garden City’s town centre - working with businesses, local groups, partners and most of all, you.
Following your comments and feedback from extensive consultation, we presented a preferred option for both The Wynd and wider town centre in 2012. Our guiding principles were set out then:
- to promote Letchworth’s status as the first Garden City;
- improve access to our wonderful green spaces;
- build on facilities around Broadway Gardens to create a cultural hub;
- help independent retailers and promote The Wynd as a destination for unusual shops;
- enhance the town centre by refurbishment and the addition of evening economy uses;
- and to recapture our town’s pioneering and sustainable ethos.
Since then we have invested in property and the town centre to boost business and economic investment, and secured the Royal Horticultural Society as a partner to help enhance The Wynd with three new showcase RHS gardens. The First Garden City Heritage Museum has been refurbished and reopened as the International Garden Cities Exhibition, housed in the new International Garden Cities Institute, to showcase the town’s global influence.
A creative enterprise school and town centre artists’ studios have opened, a world-class arts programme has launched and two new restaurants have been attracted, opening in 2015. This year the Broadway Gallery opened and later in 2016 a new theatre will also open to attract touring companies, singers and comedians.
We’ll give you more news updates here as they happen.