The October Grants Committee was dedicated to our Be the Best and Club Together programmes, showcasing the number of talented residents in the town and once again highlighting the vast number of people involved in vital groups within the community. In addition we welcomed Foundation Trustee and Leader of NHDC, Lynda Needham, as our new interim Chair until Foundation Trustee Pam Burn takes over in January 2018. Lynda brings a wealth of experience to the role and I’m excited to have her on board.
There were a number of applications received this year and I’m always impressed by the talent within the town. But this grant is not just for those with exceptional talents, it’s also to develop the skills of those who volunteer or work with groups operating within the town.
Grants were approved for:
- Karl Beattie, to complete a Level 2 Football Coaching course.
- Luca Oakley, a talented roller hockey player who represents the region and plays for the England under 15 squad, alongside his commitments to the Letchworth roller hockey team.
- Madeleine McConnell-Smith, a talented singer who has gained a place at Leeds School of Music. Watch this space for updates on Madeleine – we’ll be sharing some videos of her performances soon.
- Shannon Page, for assistance with costs to continue her football development while at university. A talented sportswoman, Shannon coached non-competitive football sessions at St. Christopher.
- Assistance with coaching and travel costs for siblings Sajinth and Sajinth Thayaparan, who both play badminton at county level.
- Leona Lee, a discretionary award for Leona based on her exceptional badminton ability. Leona is currently UK number 1 in U14 singles and mixed doubles and is currently working hard to secure competing at an U16 level.
We awarded grants to the following local groups, all of whom are involved with organisations serving the local community.
- ASU Scout Group
- Corner Bridge Club
- First Garden City Ladies Group
- Gardens for All
- Grange Baptist Lunch Club
- Grange Wives
- Howard Garden Social Club
- MacFadyen Webb House
- North Hall Farm
- North Herts Bowls Club
- Sax House Social Club
- St Michael’s Sixty Plus Group
- Up on Downs
- Wilbury Short Mat Bowls
- Yvonne Savage Club for Visually Impaired
- Trefoil Guild
- Kingfisher Court