We have reopened our car parks at Standalone Farm, Wymondley Woods, Manor Woods and Radwell Meadows - our Estates Manager Paul McKenna tells us more.
Like you, the Foundation has been trying to keep up with the latest guidance on how we play our part to contain COVID-19. In my last blog, we updated you on government guidelines and how we were temporarily closing some of our car parks at Standalone Farm, Wymondley Woods, Manor Woods and Radwell Meadows, while keeping our green spaces open. This was in response to reports from the public that these areas were becoming congregation points, making it impossible for people to keep a safe distance from other users.
Although we are not a local authority (and aren’t eligible for additional funding for open spaces), we read the government’s announcement over the weekend and decided to reopen these car parks for local people to use. However, we would urge the community to continue to practice social distancing so everyone can enjoy their time outdoors.
Dog walkers, keep your distance
We have received reports about commercial dog walkers using these spaces to walk large numbers of dogs at one time. These spaces are essential for local people to exercise and we ask that they are only used by local people in line with government guidelines.
Keeping our spaces clean
We need your help to keep the Greenway and other open spaces looking beautiful. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, our team is unable to empty bins and maintain these areas as frequently as they usually would. We are asking everyone who uses these routes to take home rubbish, including dog waste. We hope to get back to normal as soon as we can, but until then, we would ask everyone to play their part in keeping these spaces looking their best so we can keep them open.
With guidance changing on a regular basis, it’s always worth checking the latest government information on access to green spaces
The key points are:
- Stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily.
- You should only go outside alone or with members of your household.
- Keep at least 2 metres apart from anyone outside your household at all times.
- Gatherings of more than two in parks or other public spaces have been banned and the police will enforce this.
- If you have a garden, make use of the space for exercise and fresh air.
- Take hygiene precautions when you are outside and wash your hands as soon as you are back indoors.
- If walking your dog in areas used by other people, you should walk your dog on a lead to ensure you can safely keep 2 metres away from others. You can find further guidance for pet owners here
We will continue to monitor our car parks to ensure the public are following social distancing rules. Remember, never take a risk – if you are feeling unwell, do not go to any public spaces.
Thank you for your support and please stay safe.