This page is designed to keep the community up-to-date with developments regarding the progress of North Herts District Council’s Local Plan.
It is a process the Heritage Foundation is a part of, due to the inclusion in the Local Plan of a site north of Letchworth, which is a part of our estate.
Since 2012 the we have been working closely with the Council and the community to ensure decisions being made are open and transparent and take in to account the views of the town.
A timeline of events for this process can be found here.
North Herts District Council has submitted the Plan to the Secretary of State and an Inspector, Simon Berkley, held a Public Examination between November 2017 and March 2018. He is now considering comments raised at the various hearing and it is expected that there will be a further consultation by the council in September this year.
Further information on the Public Examination along with statements, including those made by the Heritage Foundation, and dates can be viewed here.
This will mean that if the plan is adopted it is likely to be in the Spring of 2019.
As well as continuing to support the allocation of sites included in the Plan under our ownership, we will be doing the following:
- With our commitment to make use of brown field sites, we will begin the planning of those identified in the Local Plan with a goal that ,where it is possible, these sites are brought forward for development.
Looking at the development of land to the north of Letchworth Garden City we will:
- Identify key issues including highways, transport and access and start to review these matters in more detail.
- In line with our values and principles we will the process of finding an appropriate partner to help bring forward this development, should it become adopted policy.
- Develop a communications plan, so that at the right time we can engage with the local community and town as a whole regarding the development of this land.
- Work with stakeholders, such as the District and County Councils regarding the key components of the development of this site.
You can view our representations made as part of the Local Plan process by clicking on the button.
Highover Farm Representation
In light of the proposed designations in the Local Plan, planning applications have started to be submitted on some of the sites allocated for housing across North Hertfordshire. One of these, land at Highover Farm in Hitchin, is close to the boundary of the Letchworth Garden City Estate. An application has been submitted for 700 new homes, along with a new school and community facilities. Although we have no objection in principle to this development, we have made comments regarding some aspects of this application and its impact on Letchworth to North Herts District Council. A copy of this letter can be found below.